References Make Commits Reachable
Let's unpack that sentence.
...whether they are local branches, remote branches, or tags (see here)...
...which are nodes in a graph (see here)...
It took me a really long time to piece this together for myself. I'm writing this site so that you don't have to waste the time I did.
- About This Site
- Git Makes More Sense When You Understand X
- Example 1: Kent Beck
- Example 2: Git for Ages 4 and Up
- Example 3: Homeomorphic Endofunctors
- Example 4: LSD and Chainsaws
- The Internet Talks Back!
- Graph Theory
- Seven Bridges of Königsberg
- Places To Go, and Ways to Get There
- Nodes and Edges
- Attaching Labels to Nodes
- Attaching Labels to Edges
- Directed Versus Undirected Graphs
- Graphs and Git
- Visualizing Your Git Repository
- The Reference Reference
- Making Sense of the Display
- Garbage Collection
- Experimenting With Git
- References Make Commits Reachable ←HEAD
- My Humble Beginnings
- Branches as Savepoints
- Use Your Targeting Computer, Luke
- Testing Out Merges
- Rebase From the Ground Up
- Cherry-Picking Explained
- Using 'git cherry-pick' to Simulate 'git rebase'
- A Helpful Mnemonic for 'git rebase' Arguments
- The End